October checklist for your home
It's finally October. The weather is cooling off, and the trees are changing colors. Here is a checklist to go through as the new season begins.
- Check safety devices such as the smoke alarm and carbon monoxide detector. Your fire extinguisher should also be up to date.
- Check your furnace before you get ready to fire it up in about another month or so.
- Cover or store your outdoor furniture and grills... unless you're still enjoying bonfires at night!
- Shut off faucets and store hoses for winter.
- Collect your leaves and try not to let them get overbearing in your yard.
- Clean your area rugs and carpets.
- Lastly, of course decorate for Halloween!
So enjoy this month of October filled with all fun fall things, and remember to check off some of these things along the way!
Beat the Summer Heat
Summer is here and we need to think serious about working in heat and high humidity. Too much heat and humidity can make people sick. Everyone reacts differently to heat but we all need to know how to recognize and treat heat emergencies.
Normally the body cools itself by sweating. When the outside temperature is equal to or above the temperature of the body and the humidity is high, our sweat does not evaporate and the body can become overheated. Heat emergencies fall into three different categories.
Here are some basic things we can do to prevent heat emergencies and make it easier for our bodies to handle the heat and humidity. Get a good nights sleep, eat moderately on hot days, wear loose fitting, lightweight clothing, drink plenty of cool water, etc. Even some prescription drugs may affect your tolerance to heat. Never ignore the sympotoms of heat illness in yourself or a co-worker. Get help immediately!